Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Key Lime Pie

Summertime is the only season that I have yet to find someone who doesn't like it. The sun is up longer, we get to stay up later, we wake up earlier, and we usually make all-around better food choices because of the plethora of fresh fruits and vegetables. 

The only thing about summertime that I'm even remotely aware of is the HEAT! Today is slated to be 100+ degrees where I live in the Midwest. That's a scorcher! What better day to make a no-bake pie than today?

When my family and I were on vacation in Belize last summer, we visited this one restaurant at least twice a day. Why? It had this delightful caye lime pie (here, we say "key") that we just couldn't get enough of. On our final day of vacation, we learned that it was the recipe of our favorite waitress and she was kind enough to share it with my family! I've been making it since. 

Here's what you'll need for the Belizean No-Bake Caye Lime Pie:

14 oz Sweet Condensed Milk
8 oz Cool Whip (really cold, almost frozen)
3 large, fresh limes 
1 8-serving graham cracker pie crust 
8 drops green food coloring (optional)

Instructions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, juice the three limes and add in the can of sweet condensed milk. Mix briefly. 

2. Add in your optional green food coloring. I do this to make the pie look very limey. It's green without it, but only barely. Mix in with the sweet condensed milk and lime juice. 

3. Add in the Cool Whip and beat until creamy. It's very important that you save the Cool Whip for last and start mixing immediately. Waiting or adding it in earlier will cause the Cool Whip to curdle. 

4. Pour contents into graham cracker crust. If you have a little leftover (which I usually do), that's to be expected. It makes a yummy topping to other pies. Refrigerate for at least two hours or until ready to serve. 

I've posted several pictures of my pies that I've made on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and have had so many people ask for the recipe. I hope that you give this no-bake pie a try tonight. It's delicious, quick, easy, and best of all: interesting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment