Monday, July 30, 2012

Chicken, Anyone?


Ah, chicken.... The one meal that makes my family cringe. Don't get me wrong; we like chicken in our house, we just tend to eat so much of it that it gets boring rather quickly.

Last week, one of my coworkers mentioned that she was going to make "marinated chicken sandwiches" for dinner. I asked her how she prepares these, and she responded, "Oh, you know, I just marinate them in spaghetti sauce and bake it, then put in on Italian bread."

Brilliant!

I, honestly, had never tried this before! However, being me, I had to add my own interesting to it. Marinated in stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, and Italian seasonings (see recipe below), I topped it with Provolone cheese baked into the bread. It was amazing.

My daughter wanted French fries, and I wanted asparagus, so we had both, making quite the meal.

Here's the recipe:

Marinated Chicken Sandwiches
Yields 4 sandwiches

Ingredients:
4 thin cut chicken breasts (or 2 regular chicken breasts, butterfly cut)
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
4 small French loaves
4 slices Provolone cheese
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 pkg Crock Pot Italian Chicken seasoning

1. Put chicken, tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, onion, and seasoning in a covered dish. Marinate all together for at least 4 hours (I marinated mine overnight)

2. Bake chicken and its marinated vegetables at 350-degrees for 25-30 minutes in an oven-safe dish. Put aside for later.

3. Split French loaves and top with sliced Provolone. Bake in 350-degree oven for five minutes.

4. Top loaves with one piece of chicken, tomatoes, and onion.


For me, I had to eat my sandwich open-faced (no bread on top), because it is such a huge sandwich. Added with seasoned fires and steamed asparagus, it made for a delicious and filling dinner.

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend, and I hope you try this recipe out soon.

Enjoy!
~Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment