Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Perfect Sandwich: Take Two

When I was finished preparing this sandwich that I was so proud of (and preparing to photograph), my husband walks through the door. He's supposed to be heading to work, but he left his badge and cell phone here. He looks at my sandwich (I am hungry, mind you), and says, "Thanks so much, babe. I didn't have time to eat before taking Chloe to the babysitter."

The only reason he lived is because he's my husband (and I knew I could easily make another sandwich).

With that said, this is my "take two" for my lunch.

A sandwich doesn't have to be just your run-of-the-mill meat, cheese, mayo, and bread. The sandwich is the most versatile meal I have in my kitchen. From egg, ham, and cheese on an English muffin to a great stuffed blue cheese burger with baked beans and a crisp, light beer (think Modelo Especial), the sandwich easily goes from breakfast to lunch to dinner... and beyond!

This little gem I made for lunch has so many vegetables on it that I'll be surprised if I need a snack break before I'm done with work this evening. I've also included my "something interesting" in this sandwich: green mango chutney.

What is chutney? you ask. Chutney is a spread that uses a mix of spices, fruits, and vegetables- in my case, mangoes, dates, and vinegar, amongst other ingredients- that adds something special to any sandwich.

Below is what I put on my sandwich for lunch. It may sound like a lot of different things, but trust me, they all blend together beautifully to make a sandwich more than just a quick meal when you are out of ideas.

Mango Chutney and Applewood Smoked Turkey Sandwich:
(Yields one sandwich)

2 slices of bread (I love Sara Lee's 45 Calories and Delightful Whole Grain Wheat)
1 slice of cheddar cheese
5 thin slices of Applewood Smoked Turkey
Miracle Whip
Mustard
Mango Chutney (another delightful product of Marie Sharp's http://www.mariesharps-bz.com)
Tomato
Red Onion
Romaine Lettuce
1/4 avocado

The sandwich will be big, and will probably fall apart, but that's okay. The different tastes combined together make for a great meal. I always try to incorporate fruit into breakfast and lunch. I love apples because they are crisp like chips, but have far less calories, far more flavor, and have more health benefits than a fried (or even baked) slice of potato.

Enjoy!
~Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment