Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Little Change Can Go A Long Way

This week was good and not so good. Good because I had another little epiphany about dieting and because I lost a pound and a half. Not so good because even though I lost a pound and a half and had a little epiphany, it took me an entire week to reach that epiphany. Like, literally, this epiphany occurred this morning. 

Last week I became a BeachBody Coach. I'm super excited to get started with using Shakeology and the corresponding PiYo workouts. I've been doing great with the Shakeology! I am drinking the tropical strawberry vegan. It's all that they claim it to be: it is tasty, it's easy to make, and it really does satiate my cravings. I mix in a banana, a cup of light almond milk, and a few ice cubes. It's a great post-workout drink/snack/meal (I say meal because it really fills me up. If I workout in the evening, it keeps me full until bedtime, so I will usually skip dinner.)

The workouts.... I haven't tried them yet. My BeachBody Coach, Heather, lives by all of Chalene Johnson's workout videos. Heather's progress has been extraordinary!! She's nine months post-baby and she's the smallest, fittest, and healthiest she's ever been! She teaches a wicked boot camp class on Monday nights and they are intense! My goal for this week is to do the PiYo workouts daily along with my regular walks and runs. 

That brings me to my little epiphany. The BeachBody plans really give you a thorough no-brainer approach to food, diet, and exercise. This whole time I've been preaching to myself "less is more." That's not the case: More is MORE!! More food, more calories, more exercise, more sleep. It seems impossible, but it's not. I'm not saying you need to workout for hours a day; quite the opposite. Just do something every day. Even if it's a little walk with your girlfriends on your active rest day: do something. 

The PiYo diet gives you a no-brain approach to food. You figure your caloric range based upon an equation (your weight x 11 - 200 = your calories) and gives you the food "limits" for those calories. I put limits in quotation marks because it's so much food. For example, I was 168.5 pounds. My caloric range is 1653. I had been limiting myself to 1200 calories, 1400 when I worked out. Oh my goodness, was I hungry! Not anymore! The PiYo diet plan gives me what I need to eat. In my case, it's 6 servings of primary veggies, 2 servings of secondary veggies/grains (I typically choose the grains), 3 servings of fresh fruit, 4 servings of healthy fats, and 6 servings of protein. The take-along booklet tells you exactly what is what and the measurements for the servings. NO. BRAINER. I find it hard most days to get all of my servings in because it's all so satisfying and filling. Best of all, I'm eating cleaner than I've ever been eating. 

Want to learn more about BeachBody and all of the fantastic programs that we offer? Visit me at www.teambeachbody.com/summerbuis. You won't be disappointed. 

At any rate, the hiccups of the week have led me to a 1.5 pound weight loss. I have a pretty ambitious goal of losing 2-5 pounds a week until I reach my goal. I used to think that it would be nearly impossible because I was always so hungry and it would just destroy my progress. By evening I'd usually cave and polish off a box of Girl Scout cookies (yes, we still have those in out house. Ack!!). I still will reward myself, but with a sweet and tasty Shakeology drink or with a banana with peanut butter or Nutella. Better choices, better results. 

If I stay on task and focus on my goals, this upcoming week should prove nothing but successful. I'll keep you all updated and posted on my progress! 

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend. I've already done my 2.5 mile run for the day and plan on doing day one of my PiYo workout this afternoon. Remember that it's about balance. Workout, eat right, and sleep! 




No comments:

Post a Comment