Monday, August 6, 2012

Pizza: Who Wants Boring Pepperoni?



My daughter had her first slumber party this weekend. She had only one little friend visit, and it wore me out more than I thought it would. I don't think the girls were even bothered by running around all day, watching movies, making dinner, and staying up late. Of course, we made pizza for dinner. It was so much fun letting the girls knead the pizza dough, add the sauces, cheeses, meats, and veggies, and letting the girls compliment each other on a job well done.

Of course, the girls just wanted pepperoni pizza. They're children and kids like to eat things they trust. I, however, am a little more adventurous when it comes to food. As I've said before, we've got a couple of tomato plants at our house, and my in-laws have a gorgeous vegetable garden. I made a "white" pizza with garlic crust, olive oil, and cream cheese in lieu of normal tomato sauce. Topped with fresh onion, bell pepper, tomato, and basil, the girls looked at my pizza with obvious envy and asked if they could try it themselves. The evening ended with all of us complimenting each others' pizza prowess.

Here is what you'll need for the white pizza:

Ingredients

White Sauce:
8 ounces cream cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp minced garlic

Pizza toppings:
1 package of instant pizza crust (the "just add water" kind)
12 ounces Mozzarella cheese
1/2 medium red onion
1 large green bell pepper
4-6 Roma tomatoes
16 leaves of basil

Directions:

1. Follow instructions to prep pizza crust, and preheat oven to 425-degrees.

2. Prep white sauce:
- Warm up cream cheese in microwave.
- Add, and mix in the garlic and olive oil

3. Spread white sauce on pizza crust.

4. Sprinkle half of Mozzarella cheese on pizza.

5. Put veggies and basil on top, and top with remaining cheese.

6. Bake pizza in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Let cool for about five minutes.

As you can see, not only this pizza is so easy to make, it is incredibly healthy, and even two nine-year-olds loved a veggie pizza!

I hope you try this recipe soon, and I hope you enjoy it as much as my family enjoyed it.

Happy eating!
~Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment